Powered by Blogger.

Monday, July 25, 2011

Fighting to go green

I just had the most interesting conversation with a gentleman from the company that holds my car loan. Apparently if the payment hasn't posted within a few days you get a reminder call just to let you know you are late. Confused by this first call since I had sent my payment off promptly I called right after work. I talked to a young woman who explained the payment hadn't posted on their end and was willing to take my payment now. I told her nicely when I got home I would check with my bank about the payment. I logged on to my account and saw that the payment was in process but hadn't yet cleared. So I called back the company. The conversation went something like this:
Customer Service Rep: Thank you for calling (insert name of loan company) may I have your account number?
Me: (account number was given and all information verified). Hi I talked to a young lady earlier and she said that my payment hasn't been made but I am showing on my account that the payment is in process as of today.
Customer Service Rep: oh good that means it will post for tonight.
Me: ( asking various questions about online payments)
Customer Service Rep: If i take a check over the phone is will be a $10 fee
Me: a $10 fee? That's nuts what about if I do it online?
Customer Service Rep: That will be a $5 fee.
Me: You're kidding. So you want my payment faster but are going to charge me fees?
Customer Service Rep: Well its not us but Western Union.
Me: Really and there is no way around it?
Customer Service Rep: nope
Me: That's crazy (me going on a little rant about how companies are going green so why can't they and have free online services and save some money and paper.)
Customer Service Rep: Well you can go online and not get the paper statement (then the guy starts chuckling) but you would still have to print it out and send in a check to avoid the fee.
Me: defeats the purpose huh? What about Paypal? Who do I write to or talk to to suggest this Paypal doesn't have fees. (continuing on my little rant about how much money could be saved by using Paypal since it is automated and wouldn't need too many people to run it.)
Customer Service Rep: (Laughing now) well I have a meeting next week and I can raise my hand if you like and suggest this.
Me: yes please do and make a note that if they want payments faster then they should not charge fees to use instant payments (I am also laughing) After all if eBay can use Paypal why can't you.
Cusotmer Service Rep: I will definently bring it up (still laughing).

Finally we said good bye after I of course promised that my payment would be sent "on time" in the future. I don't think anything will come of it but should the company decide to use Paypal to make payments I would consider it my own personal victory. Till then I guess I will need to send the check in alittle earlier or pay the (gag) fee.

No comments:

music to "blog" by


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones